There’s nothing I enjoy more than watching a good film or being entertained by a good movie. Today, entertained and inspired by Tim Burton’s “Alice” in the movie produced by Disney ‘Alice in Wonderland’, I was not to be disappointed. As some of you may remember, if there is one thing I absolutely love it is Disney movies. What a pretty giddy cocktail mix it is when not only am I entertained, but inspired as well.
Oh, I was more than happy to follow Alice down the rabbit hole and back to Wonderland. But to find words of inspiration– now that was a treat. If you’re anything like me, there are times in life when we like to take a trip down memory lane, engulfing our senses to those people, places or things that bring back a flood of warm and cozy memories. Or maybe it is some other self-pampering treat that does it for you. Nonetheless, we all have our ‘thing’ that we do that helps us remember the dreams, inspirations, passions and desires we hold dear; whether from our youth or the present.
Most importantly, and my belief really, is the main reason we take this detour is to remember who we really are. Like with most journeys, we often find ourselves at a plateau, stoned wall or an impasse from time to time. We begin to wonder how we arrived at this point in our lives or better yet, what should be our next step? Sometimes we find ourselves going round and round in circles trying to remember the initial reason for the journey. Whatever our reasons, our challenges and choices in life can feel and appear overwhelming.
And who knows? Maybe we decide to follow a small white rabbit down a rabbit’s hole and “walla”, we arrive in our ‘wonderland’. As with Alice, revisiting ‘wonderland’ might just force us to face some harsh truths, but mostly it will give us an opportunity to remember what matters most in life. Leaving the theatre I remembered one specific line Alice delivers towards the end of the film. She said, “every morning I start my day by thinking of six impossible things”. The meaning is to give courage and to inspire since what might appear impossible is possible if only we would try. And so, I encourage you to remember these six impossible things:
- It is impossible for one to be truly happy living someone else’s dream for their life. At the end of the day, it is your life and you will stand alone when faced with the hard choices. It’s simple really…choose what you truly desire, not what others desire for you. Choose wisely.
- It is impossible to truly know who you are if you’re constantly thinking about who you are not. Your predominant thought is what you will attract into your life. Think of who you want to become and focus on those empowering attributes. Think about that.
- It is impossible to get where you want to go without the help of others. Collaboration is your strongest ally, so use it well. Surround yourself with people, places and things that inspire, encourage and empower you towards your goals in life.
- It is impossible to loose your way if you are determined to hold on to your truth. Your ‘truth’ is your compass. Let it be your guide. Your truth is what you know to be real and honest about whom you are. If something does not resonate with your truth, it’s not for you. So keep it moving - move on.
- It is impossible to reach your goals without a willingness to take risks. Risk is a natural part of life and a natural part of your personal growth. It is also necessary in order for you to learn what you are capable of achieving on your journey of self-discovery. Not to mention, risk serves it’s purpose in helping you to push past your fears.
- It is impossible not to be successful in reaching your goals if you would but only follow steps 1 thru 5.
I’m often asked why it is that I have such a love for movies. I am reminded today of that reason. For me the movies serve as my ‘wonderland’. They serve as my inspiration. For most of us, our ‘wonderlands’ are the reason we all venture out from time to time down the rabbit hole. Why it’s for the adventure of it all isn’t it? Don’t we just love to be thrilled, surprised, and reminded of this beauty we call life?
The truth is we’re given the chance to live the adventure of our lives every day. We create the script as we pen the lines. Now as to how the story will unfold, that remains to be seen and by our own hands. Isn’t it?
If life is meant to be one great big adventure, why not make it a good one?
All the best,
PS: ‘Alice in Wonderland’ directed by Tim Burton…a must see ;).